The Random Quill: a Prose Weblog

Prose, both fiction and nonfiction. Random jottings from the quill of Sehrgut. This is a prose weblog linked with Sehr Gut Web. Here you will find everything from ideas and brainstorms to polished stories, and even some non-fiction, such as travel writing (travelogues).

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Dream: Incubator

[This is a description of a dream I had.]    So I was working somewhere — it was like a cross between an orphanage and the ecology lab I'm working at this summer — and I happened to have an incubator full of half-dollar-sized bird eggs. The incubator looked like a steel office-supplies cabinet, and the tray of eggs was on the top shelf.
   One of the eggs had hatched right before I came into the dream, so I had what looked and acted like a tiny chicken chick (yellow, fuzzy, and peeping) in my hands. I would carry it around and show it to people; and when it wasn't in my hands, I would put it in my shirt front pocket.
   Everyone was telling me that I shouldn't have hatched the eggs, because I wouldn't have time to care for so many hatchlings. I then seriously started considering just freezing the chicks as they hatched, and keeping them frozen to feed to my snake. Then another chick hatched, and I started carrying it around as well.
   When I opened up the incubator to find the new hatchling (somehow I knew it would be hatched), all the eggs were in the tray, but in individual plastic tubes; and they were all turning the same colour of yellow as the chicks, which I took to be a sign that they were all about to hatch.
   I said it was like an ophanage, too. Well, there were kids around from kindergarten-age up to pre-teens and early teens. They all lived there, and some of them got in trouble trying to mess with the eggs and hatchlings. I felt bad, because it seemed like I got them in trouble with the orphanage workers. (It may have been someone's house, and they just happened to have about a dozen kids; so they may have been getting in trouble with their folks.)

[Then I awoke, took a shower, remembered the dream, and uploaded it.] [This was from Wednesday, June 23, 2004]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home